Sunday, February 13, 2011

Skijoring With Your Dog

Since I wrote an article on 'Winter Activities With Your Dog' I will be taking the next few days to write about each activity in more detail here on my blog. The first one we mentioned is Skijoring.

In my article I gave a very general idea of what Skijoring is, perhaps it would be a little more helpful to actually see what I'm talking about. Take a look at this video.



As you can see, Skijoring can be very fun for your dog! This dog seems to live for it! Here's another-



Skijoring can be a lot of fun for you too. If you get joy out of doing things with your dog, take up some Skijoring and enjoy the winter!

Not enough snow where you are? How about some Urban mushing?



You can do this with roller blades, bikes, anything your dog can pull you on.

If your interested in learning more about Skijoring, take a look at Skijor With Your Dog.

Here's a book that can help you on your way to Skijoring with your dog- Ski Spot Run: The Enchanting World of Skijoring and Related Dog-Powered Sports

Their are many online sources to learn more about Skijoring, along with equipment for you and your dog. Here are a few to get you started;


Now get out there and have fun with your dog!

5 comments:

  1. I know some Chows who love this too.
    We usually have not enough snow in winter, but my eldest Chow likes a good run next to the bike (and after running the fist half mile, she goes the rest of the way in a very slow trot..)
    For her daughter, who has bad ellbows, so I must be carefull with running on hard surface, and the little Pekingese we have a DoggyRide behind the bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started riding a bike with my pointer/heeler cross - but until now I've been concentrating on making him Not pull and follow my every move. Not to mention, if he did the pulling - I wouldn't get any exercise !
    p.s. thanks for commenting on my blog - i was so surprised anyone had found me and made the effort to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found using different equipment helps a lot when it comes to getting dogs to recognize when they can and can't pull. With Biking, they don't really have to pull you though, you can also teach them to heel next to you. Thanks for the comment back! And your welcome :) I enjoy browsing through blogs and seeing what everyone else is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its really fun and exciting to ski with your dog, protect your dogs paws by using Walkee Paws Leggings for this extreme activity.

    Learn more: https://walkeepaws.com/

    ReplyDelete